Welcome to this week’s edition of Royalist, the Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royalty and royals. Subscribe here to receive it in your inbox every Sunday.
Charles’ judgment under further scrutiny for bags of money
The cartoon image of Prince Charles happily rubbing his hands while tossing shopping bags full of banknotes into the back of his wine-filled Aston Martin as something from the irreverent British comedy The Windsors is on the mind of the royalist today.
The image follows the stunning revelation that the heir to the throne was personally handed a suitcase containing 1 million euros (just over $1.05 million) by a politician representing a wealthy producing Arab state of oil.
“It was one of three bundles of money, totaling 3 million euros ($3.2 million), that Prince Charles personally received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the former Prime minister of Qatar nicknamed “HBJ”, between 2011 and 2015″, the London Sunday time reports.
The story, described as “truly shocking” by a senior ethics official, will cement Charles’ reputation for financial indiscipline in many minds. While it might be a bit of a stretch to say that this jeopardizes his estate, it certainly raises pressing and new questions about the heir to the throne’s judgment on money matters.
Late last year, Charles lost his key aide Michael Fawcett, who was forced to step down from Charles’s foundation after it was revealed he had organized an honor for a Saudi billionaire donor, explicitly in exchange for donations. Charles denied any knowledge of the settlement arrangement, but a reported police investigation into the matter provided no answers, being low-key to the point of being invisible. Prince Harry has pointedly accused his father of being involved in what he described as a “scandal” over the affair.
In the latest self-inflicted catastrophe to hit Charles, the Sunday time revealed that Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani personally gave Charles bags of money three times between 2011 and 2015.
On each occasion, HBJ allegedly gave the prince €1 million in €500 notes, sometimes nicknamed “bin Ladens” due to their use by organized crime gangs linked to terrorism. The money was once stuffed into plastic shopping bags from Chelsea grocer and luxury department store Fortnum & Mason, which holds a royal charter from the prince. Another time the money was in a suitcase, and the third time it was in a holdall.
Clarence House insisted that Time that it makes no difference that the money, which was deposited in an account with exclusive bankers Coutts, arrived in cash and that “all the correct processes were followed”.
However, a source described as “one of Charles’ former advisers who handled some of the money”, told the Sunday time that “everyone felt very uncomfortable about the situation”, adding that “the only thing we could do was to count the money and take stock of what we had done. And then call the bank.
HBJ, a member of Qatar’s ruling al-Thani family, is a hugely controversial figure, with an estimated personal wealth of $12 billion, having served as Prime Minister of Qatar between 2007 and 2013, a period during which he cultivated close ties with the UK, which has seen the country’s vast sovereign wealth fund invest in Harrods and London’s iconic skyscraper The Shard.
Charles is believed to have used his influence to get the Qataris to withdraw from the redevelopment of a high-profile venue in Chelsea called Chelsea Barracks. The High Court said Charles’ involvement in the case was “unexpected and unwelcome”.
Sir Alistair Graham, former chairman of the Standards in Public Life Committee, told the Sunday time the revelations were “truly shocking”, saying: “I would not distinguish between a politician and a member of the royal family. If the Qatari government wants to donate to its foundation, there are proper ways to do these things rather than handling large sums of money.
Beatrice’s card would have been refused at Glasto
At the other end of the financial scale, Princess Beatrice’s bank card was apparently declined three times at a bar at Britain’s Glastonbury music festival. A spy told the daily star“She tried to pay by card but was declined three times.”
Good news for her father, Prince Andrew, on the money front, however. The mirror reports that author Ingrid Seward told True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat: ‘They’re not going to kick him out because he’ll be in more trouble and start speaking and giving TV interviews and writing books. They don’t want that anymore. He will be financially secure, but I would be very surprised if he kept the Royal Lodge.
If Prince Andrew is worried about losing his Duke of York title – after 80% of that town’s residents said they wanted to sever their ties with him – he didn’t show it on Saturday. The Daily MayI showed him riding happily around the grounds of Windsor Castle.
As The Daily Beast reported, York Central MP Rachael Maskell introduced the ‘Removal of Titles Bill’, after polls showed 80% of her citizens want to be freed from their connection to the shameful royal , who refused to stop using the title, which was given to him as a wedding gift in 1986.
Maskell told the Daily Mail“In February, when we focused on the legal case against Andrew, my constituents responded that 80% of people wanted the association with the current Duke of York severed. And therefore, I met with the clerks here in the Commons to see how this can be achieved.
She found that there was “no mechanism in place, even for the monarch, to take away the title. The only real way to achieve this is if Andrew is no longer, by choice, called the Duke of York.
She added: “Using a title like the Duke of York is an ambassadorial role, it carries our city’s name around the world.
“And it is a city that is a Human Rights City, the only Human Rights City in England. We are already in a culture shock when we talk about violence against women and girls and the issues that we are working really hard on in the city, to make York a very safe place.
Subscribe here to get all the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Teeman.
Epstein victim: Andrew’s photo made me “shake” with terror
Annie Farmer, victim of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, tells The Sun that the photo of Andrew with Maxwell, his arm around Virginia Roberts Giuffre, makes her tremble. Farmer, speaking ahead of Maxwell’s sentencing on Tuesday, said in an impact statement: ‘I remember sitting at my desk in a Houston hospital physically shaking after seeing the photo of Maxwell with Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew because it became clear to me how their plan had gone on.
“I would never have met Epstein without you,” writes Farmer, who claims Epstein and Maxwell’s abuse happened when she was 16. “You have opened the door to hell. And then, Ghislaine, like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, you used your femininity to betray us, and you got us through all that. The couple did “unthinkable things” to her, Farmer says.
The royal family rethinks the colonial heritage
A sign that the royal family is at least trying to address the many horrors of Britain’s colonial past comes with the news that Prince Charles wants slavery to be publicly acknowledged, in the same vein as the annual Holocaust remembrance.
Charles expressed his ‘personal grief’ over the UK’s links to the slave trade during a visit to Rwanda last week, no doubt encouraged to speak out on the issue by protests over the legacy of the slavery during William and Kate’s recent Caribbean tour, which was criticized. in some circles as “deaf”.
A senior royal source told the Sunday time“He’s the patron of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust and he notes that in the UK we now know and learn in school all about the Holocaust, so it’s something that is recognized and learned in the national level. This is not the case with the transatlantic slave trade, and perhaps it is something that should be.
“So, just like Holocaust Memorial Day, is there a way to do this? To have a moment, to have a way to remember it?
This week in royal history
July 1 is one of the strangest dates on the royal calendar, marking the birth of Princess Diana on this day in 1961, while on the same day eight years later in 1969 Prince Charles became the Prince of Wales during an investiture ceremony at Caernarvon Castle. in North Wales.
If someone showed up at your house with a million dollars in cash three times, don’t you think you should call the authorities? This begs the question: Will the latest mystery money scandal simply prove embarrassing for Prince Charles, or could it escalate and end up threatening his true legitimacy as monarch?
Do you like the royal cover of The Daily Beast? Register here to receive Royalist newsletters straight to your inbox.